Saturday, April 27, 2013

Top 13 (of the Week)


Sure,you know what's cool. But do you know what's really fuckin' FAR OUT? That's where Advanced Demonology comes in. Every week, (K)en and (S)wilson trudge through the murky waters of the pop culture hellscape, dredging up sparkly morsels of wonder. These are the result of our latest foray into the world of the weird, our wildest, wiggest-out picks of the week. Call it our 13 Point Program.

13. Creeping Ivies
Scottish boy-girl riot squad. I think they're like a Bonnie and Clyde type situation. They kinda sound like 80's destructo-billies Deja Voodoo, only with a megaphone and a flamethrower. I just got the record, it blew out my windows and set fire to the rug. In a good way. (K)


12. Black Metal: Beyond the Darkness
Kinda an all around Black Metal reader. Pretty good for the most part, a few pretentious articles. Lots of great photos. It's a must have for the Demonology library. (S)

11. The Art of Harvey Kurtzman
Fun (if way too short!) mini-doc about the man who brought us the original Mad magazine. I remember reading reprints of the 50's version in the 70's – they gave 'em away with 'super specials', I think – and they blew me away. Amazing art and seriously subversive humor, especially for the 1950's. Later on he invented (or at least perfected) the boner comic with Little Annie Fannie. What a guy! (K)


10. Dead Native - Keep It Strange
Kinda Bluesy, kinda trippy, lot's of rhythm changes and weirdness.  I think the singer if he doesn't already own a pair, should get himself some leather pants. I mean that as a compliment. Unless it's just a bunch of fat guys in corduroy, I can't tell this video clip is kinda dark. (S)


9. Shoraiders
Basically if Bon Scott quit AC/DC around 1976 and they decided to replace him with a hot Finnish (?) chick, you'd have Shoraiders. “Just Try To Keep My Cool” is my new anthem! (K)

 
8. Erica
Loner, depressing bedroom synth pop from Brazil that will have you taking the entire bottle.The record sounds like it was written on the coldest cloudy day she could find in such a tropical place.  "Digging My Weeds" and "Don't Let Me In" are high-lights, or should I say low lights?  It's available on a groovy handmade cassette.  (S)


7. Adjust Your Tracking
New trailer for the (hopefully) soon-to-be-released doc about weirdos who collect VHS tapes. Like me, really. I am telling you right now that I have several large boxes of rare/cult VHS tapes in my basement. I don't know what to do with them. I'm not gonna fucking watch them, I just wanna pull them out every few years and look at them and think about the days when renting videos was your primary delivery service for movies. Goodtimes. The guys in this movie are way more hardcore than I am. I'm pretty sure they'd all kill you for a copy of Tales from the Qaudead Zone. (K)

 
6. Japanese Vapor Wave??
Vapor Wave, or better yet, Vapor Boogie is  some kind of Japanese take on chill wave. I think it's from Japan. I don't know but it's mysterious and I really like it.  It basically sounds like 80's funk pop played by lobotomized robots. (S)


5. Murderess
Holy fuck, an (almost, they've got a boy drummer) all-girl blackened crust band? Far out. The goddamn bass player has a four-row studded belt, an Electric Wizard t-shirt, and a leopard skin guitar strap. They did not make chicks (or bands) like this in the ol' dayz, man. (K)

 
4. Bronx Gangs Of The 70's on Google Maps
Want to know where The Javelins, Black Spades, Savage Nomads and War Pigs hung out in the 70's? Check on this awesome google map. It charts all the turf of all the top street gangs of the glorious South Bronx seventies. Warriors come out and play!! If your brave you can do a walking tour, or should I say running tour. (S)

3. Can The Documentary
If you like Krautrock (you like Krautrock), you gotta watch Can the Documentary. It's a documentary about Can, mothefucker. Let's do this. (K)


2. Lord Of The Logs: Designing the Metal Underground
yep you guessed it, a book dedicated to the history of Black Metal logos designed by Christophe Szpajdel. Need I say more? (S)

1. Yes Mistress
If Swilson was 25 right now and listened to punk rock instead of Hawkwind, this would be his band. Junk punks wreaking havoc with two chords and five dollar sunglasses. They have a new single out, “Gonna Get Arrested”, it's boss. Buy it. Better yet, steal it. That'll go with the theme. (K)

No comments:

Post a Comment