Friday, November 23, 2012

Top 13 (of the Week)


Sure,you know what's cool. But do you know what's really fuckin' FAR OUT? That's where Advanced Demonology takes over. Every week, (K)en and (S)wilson trudge through the murky waters of the pop culture hellscape, dredging up sparkly morsels of wonder. These are the result of our latest foray into the world of the weird, our wildest, wiggest-out picks of the week. Call it our 13 Point Program.


13. RAM
Holy smokes, I thought Iron Curtain took the 80's retro underground metal thing to the max, but RAM have taken things one step further - right into an '85'esque post-apoc wasteland! (K)


12. Out Of The Blue
Although we are pretty skeptical, Advanced Demonology believes in life on other planets.  I myself (Swilson) have seen a UFO hovering over Los Angeles once while sitting on the beach. I don't know if it was an alien spaceship, but it could have been. Despite my belief in such things, I pretty much steer clear of any and all UFO propaganda, be it film or literature. That's why I missed this excellent movie that came out about ten years ago. They mostly leave out any testimony from UFO enthusiasts,  and stick to interviewing government officials and military men who have actually had encounters. My favorite part is when they talk to scientists about the possibility of light year space travel. Narrated by arch-hippie Peter Coyote. (S)


11. Sabbath Assembly
The original Process Church of the Final Judgment may have deteriorated into an animal sanctuary, but that doesn't mean they can't still use a house band. Sabbath Assembly might be the most occult Occult Rock band I've ever heard. I think I'm in a coven now? (K)


10. Baby Face
Made in 1933 this pre-code hollywood movie is about a girl named Lily Powers (Barbara Stanwyck) from the slums of Erie PA, driven by the philosophy of Nietzsche, who uses her sex appeal to sleep her way to the top. It's really sexually charged no matter what era it's from so I can only imagine the stir it caused when it came out. Make sure you watch the un-cut version. (S)


9. 70's Rock n' Roll Billboards
earlier this week, Creative Review posted a mind-blowing gallery of late 70's rock billboards from the Sunset Strip. I have never wanted to own a 10CC album more! (K)


8. The Lemming
I'm obsessed with this dutch glam rock band. They had three hits on Dutch Top 40 from 1973 to 1975 and this is one of 'em. Very sinister, strange, and ridiculous with occult overtones. It looks to me like they put out one self titled record and a string of singles, all I can find are the singles. Seems from this website that they reformed, but I don't know cause it's in whatever language they speak in the Netherlands. (S)


7. American Scream
Watched this fun/alarming documentary yesterday on Netflix. it's about a few of the denizens of Fairhaven, MA. (BTW I live in Boston and I've never head of the place), who spend most of the year (and a good chunk of their income) created elaborate "house hauntings" in their backyards to scare the neighborhood children on Halloween. The line between passion and insanity here is about as thin as the line between respect and pity you'll experience when watching it. (K)


6. Impaler
Just got my hands on the Rise Of The Mutants Ep from 1985. It's killer. A mix of street punk and speed metal. Released on Combat records they were overshadowed by musically "talented" label mates Megadeath. I'm excited to hear the full length If We Had Brians….We'd Be Dangerous. They are from Minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes. (S)


5. Merciful Nuns 
Do you miss the Sisters of Mercy now that Andrew Eldritch is bald and wears track suits and doesn't write epic, icy goth-rock jams like Temple of Love and This Corrosion anymore? Well, lament no more, darksider, because Merciful Nuns are very clearly the new Sisters. One of the greatest homage-verging-on-ripoffs I've ever heard. Makes me wanna put on mirrorshades and go scowl at some squares.  (K)


4. Gargoyles 1972 TV Movie
I'm sure you guys have seen this, but I just watched it last night. Freaky man! (S)


3. The Wandering Soul
During the Vietnam conflict, US forces conducted psychological warfare by blasting the sounds of moaning ghosts into the jungle to freak out the highly superstitious Viet-cong. Interestingly, the "wandering soul" tapes sounded like half of the stuff we played on our last "New Demons" show.  (K)


2. The Fuckin' Flyin' A-Heads-Swiss Cheese Back
Howard Nishioka plays guitar with these Hawaiian wastoids. We talked about it on the Thanksgiving show. Here it is. I actually recommend you sniff a paper bag full of airplane glue before you listen to this. (S)


1. Iron Fist Magazine
First issue of this glossy print mag from the UK is out, and it's boss. Basically it covers all the bands your average occult-rock/demonologist would listen to, were they in a metal mood: Watain, Satan's Wrath, Manilla Road, Sodom, Grand Magus. Really nice presentation and lots of groovy underground doom-black-thrash metal. Awesome. (K)



1 comment:

  1. The Lemming: wow. Just wow. Somebody needs to do a reissue of those guys.

    ReplyDelete