Friday, July 20, 2012

Top 13 (of the Week)





Sure,you know what's cool. But do you know what's really fuckin' FAR OUT? That's where Advanced Demonology comes in. Every week, (K)en and (S)wilson trudge through the murky waters of the pop culture hellscape, dredging up sparkly morsels of wonder. These are the result of our latest foray into the world of the weird, our wildest, wiggest-out picks of the week. Call it our 13 Point Program.

13. Marcel Chapman - Midnight Movies
Throbbing nu-disco jam set to clips from Jess Franco sexploitation flicks. What's not to love? (K)



12. Reeves Amps
I think the Hiwatt amps from the seventies are the king of all loud guitar amps and I'd love to own one. But they aren't cheap and like any old amp they aren't that reliable.These guys make really amazing repos of the originals and they do it right here in the good ole U.S.A. You can get 'em in 50 or 100 watt versions with all kinds of cool options like power dampening and different color tolex. They aren't that much if you know the price of any good guitar amp and when "Cool Skull" goes platinum I'm gonna buy myself one. (S)


11. Here's the Story by Maureen McCormick 
There's a lot of misery to wade through - this chick was never happy, pretty much - but worth it to read about Eve Plumb's gross dressing room habits, how Maureen sometimes went braless in the last season of the Brady Bunch  to protest her character's lack of maturity, and most importantly, what movies she was in when she bombed on coke (basically the awesome ones: Skatetown USA and Vacation in Hell). Also, the part where her dad and brother turn into hardcore conspiracy nuts and trap her in their black-curtained house to interrogate her on videotape is pretty rad, too. Also, she may or may not have made a solo sex tape in exchange for coke once. Shit happens in this book, is what I'm saying. (K)


10. Mondo Phase Band / Nothing People - Split
Been on a real Nothing People kick the last few weeks and I picked up this split they did with a cool Aussie group calling themselves The Mondo Phase Band. It's more fodder for the life long psychological war game that I seem to playing with my mind by listening to all this weird shit. Looking forward to hearing full length by these guys.  Semper Fi. (S)



9. Planet P - Armageddon
I avoided the Planet P Project back when these records first came out (early 80's) because let's face it, how excited is anybody gonna be for the side project from the keyboard player for Rainbow? And then I just forgot about it completely. But then I randomly came across the first Planet P album at the record store, picked it up on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised by its easy space-prog charms. Some of it is as lame as you imagine, but a few tracks - like this one - are actually pretty awesome. "Can-yuns"! (K)


8. Make sure you back up all your files on your computer in case the hard drive goes down, it's a modern tragedy.
I'm sure this has happened to almost everyone out there but it's my first time and I'm coming to grips with it. The modern world is fragile my friends and when the fall of the empire comes and future archaeologists hit this layer of the excavation sight there won't be much of the culture left, but a bunch of plastic.  My hard drive crashed and although I had a allot of  of stuff backed up I did loose some important shit. Mostly photos and the lyrics to about 50 unrecorded Swilson jams. Now maybe I can remember some of them off the top of my head but there really is now a "Lost" Swilson record somewhere in the vapor. (S)


7. The original Blank Generation
Raise your hands if you knew Richard Hell's classic snark-punk track "Blank Generation" was actually a cover of a 1959 equally punk tune by Bob Mcfadden called "Beat Generation". See, me neither, but wow, right? Great song no matter what the decade. (K)




6. Monoshock - Walk To The Fire (1996) reissue
I case anyone missed this time bomb of an LP on the first go round, next week is your chance to grab it.  The soundtrack to melting minds when it first emerged, then disappeared back in 1996.  S.S. Records is giving it a audio overhaul and it apparently sounds even better than the original. If you like Comets on Fire and Wooden Shjips you'll love these guys. The Guitar is still mightier than the sword. (S)


5. Galactic Zoo Dossier
I did not buy this because $21 for a magazine is fucking crazy, but if I had that kinda dough to throw around, I definitely would've. It's got (new) interviews with Rodriguez! And Susan "Poppy Family" Jacks! And Arthur "Crazy World of" Brown! Plus a CD of weird obscuro jams and psychedelic trading cards! Dammit, maybe it is worth the money. Don't be stupid like me, get it!(K)


4. Salem (S4LEM)
I'm not sure what to make of all this but somehow I really like it. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure all these kids were born in the 90's.  A bunch of mid-western kids dicing around with computers and the occult and probably some kind of prescription medication. There is absolutely no trace of anything traditional in they're music, not a hint of rock 'n roll or anything made before…. well…1990.  So it's next level.  It's gotta be. They are playing it at runway shows in paris and on hip british BBC shows. (S)



3. Sex in the Movies by Sam Frank
This is one of those illuminating "secret history of cinema" books, not unlike Incredibly Strange Films, which basically blew people's minds when it was first published in 1986. Page after page of amazing photos and info on (then) hopelessly obscure T&A flicks. This is the first place I ever laid my eyes on Cheri Caffaro. That was a good day. Still a great read! (K)


2. Upstairs Downstairs
Further proof that everything was better in the early Seventies, The Satanic Psychedelic Loner Rock Champ would like to recommend to my fellow demonologists, Masterpiece Classics: Upstairs Downstairs. Yes a show about Butlers and Maids who work for a rich family in a London town house, set in the early nineteen hundreds, is blowin' my mind this week. Every episode is fantastically well written the characters are amazing, nothing is over the top or heavy handed, it pretty much perfect. They slyly tackle modern problems like: drugs, sex, class, race, and abortion, there is even a "hippie' episode.  It won about every award known to television watching man and goes to show that it doesn't matter what the shows about it's how you do it. The singer not the song. (S)


1.  The Boner Popping Album Cover Thread
Go over to the Movies About Girls message board and add your own! Finally, something useful on the internet! (K)


PS: New episode of the Advanced Demonology Podcast coming soon! So far, it sounds like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment