Friday, June 15, 2012

Top 13 (Of The Week)




Sure,you know what's cool. But do you know what's really fuckin' FAR OUT? That's where Advanced Demonology takes over. Every week, (K)en and (S)wilson trudge through the murky waters of the pop culture hellscape, dredging up sparkly morsels of wonder. These are the result of our latest foray into the world of the weird, our wildest, wiggest-out picks of the week. Call it our 13 Point Program.
13. Bee Gees : Mr. Natural (1974)
I've always been a big Bee Gees fan. I love the early chamber psychedelia and the late disco. Fantastic! I started thinking there must have been some transition period right? Right. It was the 1974 record Mr. Natural. It marks the move from England to Los Angeles and reflects a Philly soul influence that would pave the way to the amazing Saturday Night Fever. There are no super hits on here but  every song is great. My Favorite being the hard rock funk of Heavy Breathing. (S)


12. Vocoder - What Happens Now
I've been immersing myself in bottom-shelf 80's synth-rock for the past couple weeks. Why?  I guess I was too busy listening to macho chest-thump music back then to enjoy the simple goofy pleasures of dudes in suspenders playing keytars, so now I'm making up for it. One of my faves is Spanish button-pushers Vocoder and their amazing supermarket-themed video for 1985's almost-smash, "What Happens Now?" This is pretty much exactly what I imagine Swilson's videos will look like once he signs to a Bulgarian label.  Euro-budget rock FTW! (K)


11. Iceberg Slim
Real name Robert Beck. He wrote eight fantastic novels about street life in the 40's and 50's.  The best is his autobiographical Pimp: The Story Of My Life. I read it when I was in high school and it blew my mind, written in 40's street slang, it includes a glossary of slang words in the back. Awesome. It's a no holds bar view of the life of a player, the highs and the very low lows, This week I've been reading Mama Black Widow, the story of a cross dressing homosexual in the concrete jungles of the Chicago. Brutal.  He's the best selling African American author after Alex Haley(S)



10. I dream of Jeannie goes psyche
Barbara Eden did,I believe, release a pop single somewhere in the beginning of her career, and she did Vegas revues for decades after the show ended, so it's not surprising that Jeannie would end up singing at some point. But sexed-up faux-psychedelia? Of course, it was really her evil twin, but either way, groovy! (K)



Blasphemous quotes by everyone from Emma Goldman to Adolf Hitler on an assortment of topics from politricks to sex . Indispensable to any neo-beatniks library.  Here is a few short ones, chosen at random: "The Human tendency prefers familiar horrors to unknown delights" -  Fred Woodworth ; " Capital punishment is our society's recognition of the sanctity of human life." - Senator Orrin Hatch ; "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." - Albert Einstein ; "He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; he who dares not is a slave" - William Drummond; "speed will turn you into your parents" - Frank Zappa; "under Soviet conditions masturbation is no longer the mass phenomenon it was in the past" - T.S. Atarov ; "polyester shirt, polyester pants!" -Swilson (S)

8. Den Haan Gods from outer space 
My nu fave nu-disco (or "macho disco", or "neuro-glam", as they like to call themselves) outfit have a nu album, Gods from Outer Space, and it's got some serious lease-breaking party jams. Holy smokes.
PS: if you're extravagant or a 1%-er, you may wanna spring for the double-vinyl import. (K)



07. Keiji Haino
I think it's good for people to listen this kind of stuff every now and agin, especially with coffee in the morning, Cleans out your head head, keeps the mind limber and get's ya ready for a day were anything can happen. Haino is an arch-freek who as been at this noise/nonsense since the 70's. Speaking of quotations  I'll qote a youtube comment about 'em I like very much :  "Because this hurt's!!! This can not be heard. I'll rather listen to fingernails scraping a blackboard!!! But eventually i do not understand a lot of music....... or drugs!!!!" - JaackPat (S)


6. Titan landing 
Maybe I knew this but forgot? Six years ago a European space probe landed on Saturn's moon Titan and took pictures for 90 minutes. It took seven years to get there! Wow! I mean, all it saw was rocks and ice, but still, fuckin' Titan. That is bananas. This entry would seriously blow your mind if this was 2006. (K)



05.James Gang: Bang (1973)
In a quest for all things Tommy Bolin and a recent desire  for some A-List classic rock that I might have glossed over, I'm now mining the depths of the cocaine caves and coming up with things like late period James Gang. Lord help me! Thing is I can't stop listening to it. Maybe it's California? (S)


4. Hardcore hula hoopin'
Ok, so I suggest you add your own soundtrack (I bet Cool Skull works!), but seriously, how great is this? (K)


3. G.G. Allin: Live Fast Die Fast (1984)
Other than the shit and the puke what's up with G.G.'s music? Is it any good? By good I mean I think he might have something wrong with him and he's speaking from the heart of a disenfranchised idiot. So I think that it might be good. I'm just not sure, maybe I shouldn't care. Life sucks scum fuck? I love this song. (S)



2. Haunted Leather - Shapes on the Wall
Michigan's big into apocalyptic psyche these days, and Haunted Leather is one of the most extravagant practitioners thereof. Hazy, droning, locked-in-the-basement-for-days stuff. Awesome. (K)


Shapes on the Wall from Haunted Leather on Vimeo.

1. Lantern: Dream Mine (2012)
These guys have got there feet dancing in all the right places, wholesome, all american, exuberant freak out music. You can tell they love it and Advanced Demonology loves it. Dream Mine is a cyber punk concept record. It sounds like a Stooges tape being played on a boom box while some longhaired kids are getting drunk on the railroad tracks, in the year 2085Buy it!!! (S)












No comments:

Post a Comment